Using rainmeter to display shit is like driving your Pagani Huayra to grocery shop, just saying.
Rainmeter is so much more than just a tool to display information on your desktop! It can literally fetch any information from your Windows and other software, and then do with that information whatever the fuck you want, simply displaying the fetched information is not even close to the entire extent of what Rainmeter can do!
Even without writing a single line of Lua script Rainmeter is capable of:
- automating tasks (running programs, exiting programs, enabling/disabling windows features, playing a sound, whatever) based on conditions and events (computer is idle, low disk space, high temperature, program started, program crashed etc.)
- fully replacing small programs like alarm clocks, e-mail notifiers, unit/currency converters etc.
- adding new useful functions (I personally keep track of folder sizes in fucking autoscaled Kilo-/Mega-/Giga-/Terabytes, count how many times I ran a game and how much time I spent playing it, whatever the fuck you can conjure up in your mind that includes retrieving information, Rainmeter can do it)
- providing clutter-free interfaces for CPU/GPU/Drive meters, media players, torrent clients etc., this is the most basic shit 99% of people use it for
- partly or fully replacing a Windows feature like the file explorer, the start menu/screen, the _mother_fucking_ command line, the control panel, the ...
... and a lot more! Like Jesus fucking Christ, there is no single fucking thing it can't do what Stardock Fences does without even touching god fucking damn Lua, and that's just one paid software it helps you get rid of!
Now add Lua scripting capability and it's like a full-blown extension of Windows in its entirety!